A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Friday, September 28, 2012

wooo hooo!

No Frost Yet!!!

So happy we have not had a frost yet, extending our often too short Nova Scotia gardening season.  Though the temperatures are sometimes chilly the garden is surviving, not thriving but surviving.

I'm still enjoying fresh garden greens.....



And Butternut Squash, my favourite, picked fresh minutes before steaming.   So sweet and flavourful........



Our meat chickens are also enjoying fresh veggies from the garden.  This is a basket of garden goodies just for them.  Kayle, Swiss Chard, Tomatoes, Spinach and lettuce.....



These are Rose Buds, not from my garden, not from my yard.  Here's the story ....Today my family and I went for a walk in Lunenburg to have a look at the rebuilt Bluenose II.  As we were returning to our car I over heard a couple tourists having a conversation.  They were shocked by the large size of these rose buds.  The funniest part was, one of them was actually going to eat one, thinking it was a cherry tomato.  That would have been funny....I had to snap a picture and share this story.....


I sure hope this all makes sense and I don't reread this in a few days only to think "what am I talking about".  I am currently suffering from a mind numbing head cold.  I will reread this at a later date and make any grammar and spelling corrections that may need to be made haha.

'til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment