A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Saturday, September 29, 2012

What will winter bring....

As I putter around my kitchen cooking supper, I wonder what my blog will be about this winter.  The gardening will be done until next spring, the meat birds will all be in the freezer, the layers can only produce so much news.......

Maybe I will write about what I am cooking.....what I am using....preserved garden goodies, farm raised meat....  Maybe I will write about our plans for our little Farm next year....will we add pigs to our agenda.....what kind of pigs is always a hot topic with us, heritage or mixed farm breed... how many meat birds will we raise next year....

As I write this I'm watching the news, a highlight story is the Beef Recall in Alberta.  This reminds me to remind my husband to phone our Farmer Friend who raises beef and pork for at least a quarter of beef and a side of pork.....

We put our trust and faith in the "inspectors" to insure what we are eating is safe.  It becomes apparent all too often, this is the wrong thing to do.  Grow as much of your own food as you can, what you can't grow source close to home, preferably from someone you know.  Other than that, choose carefully.

And with that said, my breaded scallops are ready.....

***********************************************************

1 hour later.....  Supper is over.  The scallops were very disappointing.  One would assume you would get mouth watering fresh scallops in Nova Scotia, NOPE.  I am finding it near impossible to get mussels which are farmed at Indian Point Mussel Farms, our local mussel farm.  Most are imported from PEI.  I strongly believe if a product can be sourced in the area of the grocery store they should be forced to purchase that product to support the area producers.

Well, dear reader, that's all for tonight.  Again, I hope this post makes some sort of sense since I am still under weather.  And, for the record, it took me some time to finish this post, were weren't eating supper at 8:00 pm tonight, though it has been known to happen....

Take care!

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever bought from Evan's Fish at the Thursday Farmers Market? They come from Yarmouth way. We have only been disappointed once in the 2 years we've been buying from them.

    Feel better soon!

    p.s. I love the green/blue colours on your blog. They remind me of peaceful earth colours ... water, sky and evergeens :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never get to the Thursday Farmers Market as I work every Thursday and when I'm on vacation I forget about it. :(

      Thanks, I thought the colours were comforting. :)

      Delete