A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Garden is still growing!...

We have been eating tomato sandwiches for breakfast at our house!  Home made fresh salsa is also a favourite.  I wish I could put my garden in a huge bubble and protect it from the winter so I can enjoy it all year long!  I love the temperature this time of year but it makes me sad to know my garden goodies will soon be destroyed by frost.  


This is my little "fall garden patch".  I have spinach, kale, yellow beans and leaf lettuce planted here.  Our plan is to put up a little shelter to protect it from the frost so I can hopefully enjoy fresh garden greens well into the fall.


Look at all the RED tomatoes.  This has been a fantastic year for ripening tomatoes.  I am so selfish when I say I am grateful the latest hurricane passed us by and spared my garden bounty!


Yes, those are the "tomato trees" in the background.  They are still growing!


Nothing beats a fresh garden tomato.  Such a wonderful summer treat!

'til next time!

1 comment:

  1. What a treasure our gardens are! I am enjoying a supper of fried tomatoes and kale from my garden as I type this. A bubble is a great idea :-)

    ReplyDelete