A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

I'll Huff and I'll Puff.....

All the rain and wind we've had this past week has reeked havoc on our little farm.

My "tomato trees" are leaning over, even with the sturdy Vesey's tomato towers supporting them.




The garden has gone wild!  Grass growing everywhere!



The moisture has caused some of the tomatoes to crack and rot....



A bonus from all this moisture, the little baby peppers I was hoping would have time to grow before the frost starts are coming along very nicely.....




Some of the tomato plants are pretty much finished...



Just when I thought there would be no more cucumbers we got a week of rain and more cucumbers!



And, for supper tonight....Acorn Squash....just haven't decided exactly how I am going to prepare them yet......



I thought this was such a pretty bloom...



All the rain also caused our meat bird "coop" to get very moist and messy.  Our other "coop" has been empty since the other birds were butchered, airing out and drying.  I spread 4 bags of shavings on the floor, moved over the feeders and water and viola, happy meat birds again......



Our newest addition of mixed breed layers are out and about, free ranging....



I love the colour of this bird....



My camera had a hard time focusing on this little one, it blended in so well with the surroundings.....



We left these two little ones with their momma free ranging, they are doing great...


So far today, no rain but no sun either.  I'm glad to have the meat birds to a clean dry coop, a good job done.  And that's my update on our wind and rain soaked farm!

'til next time...

1 comment:

  1. The birds look great!

    My tomatoes did the same, cracked from the rain. I picked and peeled all the ripe ones and stewed them for spaghetti sauce :-)

    ReplyDelete