A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Monday, September 17, 2012

End of pickling season.....

Yesterday I decided to pick all my remaining cucumbers and peppers (large ones, lots of small ones still growing!) and use them to make Mustard Pickles.  With impending frost and cool temps I'm not confident the growing veggies will make it big enough to harvest.  So, this is the end of pickling season this year....


The recipe called for cauliflower but I wanted to use up only what I had grown in my own garden, so there's only green pepper, onion and cucumber....


All bottled and waiting to hear the seals "POP".....

The chickens enjoyed the seeds and peels from the cucumbers.  I didn't get a picture of it, I was too busy trying to finish up my work :)

'til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment