A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

From day one, we are taught to share.....


Today we picked up a "tote" of chicken grower.  It weighed 503kg!  Yes, that is a lot of chicken food.  And, it cost us $285.00.  Yes, that is a lot of money!  Our entire day today was spent working on the chicken barn, going to the feed store and bagging the 503kg of feed into smaller manageable bags.  When I say the work is endless, the work really is endless!

Which is one reason I am very torn as to whether or not we should "share" our home grown meat birds.  Not only is it a ton of work, it costs a lot of money to raise these birds. I am struggling with the guilt of not making others happy.  From day one we are taught to share....to give up your favourite toy no matter how much it hurts to see someone smashing it into the wall....that's sort of where I am at right now.  Knowing others would like some of our chickens has me torn, am I being greedy not sharing? 

My husband is worse than I am for wanting to give, give, give.  When we started this little farm I laid down the law "what we raise is for ourselves, for our freezer, we are not feeding the nation".  When someone asks him to "share" he can't say "no".  So, it's a debate right now in our household.  He never stocks our freezer, he doesn't buy the groceries so he doesn't know the amount of chicken we actually consume in a year.  Last year we had 10 birds, they were gone in a few months and they were left as roasting chickens.  I was actually purchasing chicken pieces from the grocery store on top of the roasters we raised ourselves.  And I would grab the meat we grew ourselves more often because I know it is the safest food in our freezer.  He is looking ahead at the 40 chicks we have growing now. 

My point is, you cannot count the meat birds before they're in the freezer!  God forbid, something might happen.  Even now with our 24 grown birds we could have an animal attack and lose the flock (praying that does not happen!).  We have struggled to find a processor, we finally found someone in the Valley and begged them to squeeze us in.  The amount of work and money we have put into building our barn this year to nicely house these birds, the beautiful run, the garden veggies they enjoy daily, the daily feed and water, trucking them to processing, driving back to the valley to pick up the packaged product.....the work only ends when they hit the freezer.  I feel we should be reaping the rewards of our hard work and keeping the birds for ourselves.  Deep down, that is how I really feel.  I don't want to sell a single bird.

So, dear reader, this is the struggle on the farm today, whether to share our beautiful, garden fed chickens or not......I hope you don't think harshly of me for wanting to keep every single one for my own family to enjoy.  It is the purpose of our farm, to raise healthier food for our own family......

'til next time.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post! To all the people who are requesting meat birds from you, and who don't understand the real cost of raising healthy meat, I'd say direct them to this great post.

    If they are still interested in buying tell them the price you want without flinching - if in fact do end up wanting to sell a few to off set costs or whatever (ask at least $5 per pound ... last year's asking price for home raised chicken at the Lunenburg farmers market ... or whatever is the real cost to you plus labour).

    Since your chickens are the size of small turkeys by now, probably averaging 10 pounds a piece, they would cost your friends at least $50.00 per roaster.

    This isn't unreasonable. My sisters are paying that much for the home raised chicken they are buying from a farmette on the North Mountain. They are willing to pay that kind of money because the meat is delicious, healthy and local, and because they honour the work that went into raising it.

    Kudos to you for standing firm in your determination to honour the work that you and Ron are putting into your birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest thing is I want to reap the benefit of our hard work. And, if the birds weigh 10lbs or more we have to pay even more to have them processed! I am also hoping they will portion some for me. Thus I don't really want to be standing there saying...Okay, I need 3 for this person, 3 for this person so that leaves this many for us so I will portion this many and leave this many as roasters........ confused? Exactly! I want to be able to say "we have 24 birds, portion 12 and leave 12 as roasters".....

      We have 2 going off their feet, we very concerned they won't make it until next Tuesday! Fingers crossed!!!

      Delete