A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Friday, November 30, 2012

WOW! A VERY UNGRATEFUL RECIPIENT!


We dropped off our Son's "too small" clothes at "The Daisy", our local hospital used clothing store, NEVER AGAIN WILL I MAKE A DONATION THERE UNLESS I HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE. There was another lady taking donated stuff in ahead of us. The lady that opened the door the first time was very nice, she seemed happy when I said we had kids clothes, all washed, folded and sorted. We went back to the car for a few more boxes, knocked on the door (3 tim
es) someone finally opened the door and flipped out on us. Yelling : "YOU KNOW THERE'S A 6 BOX LIMIT" I said, "no I didn't know, we have 7 boxes and everything is all washed, sorted and folded neatly" She then YELLS: "WELL THE STUFF DOESN'T JUST JUMP OUT OF THE BOXES YOU KNOW, WE HAVE TO UNPACK IT, WE DON'T HAVE THAT MUCH ROOM....." At this point she was KICKING the stuff across the room! I then yelled back at her, having enough of her ungrateful attitude "THAT'S FINE, WE CAN TAKE IT ALL BACK WITH US, WE WON'T BRING THE OTHER BOX IN AND I WON'T EVER BRING ANYTHING ELSE HERE EVER AGAIN". I slammed the door in her face (had to clean up what I actually feel like calling her) and we left. I dropped the other box off at the family resource centre. I never thought I would leave a place where I was making a donation crying! My feelings were so hurt, I thought I was doing a fantastic thing. Guess not. I will never walk on their doorstep ever again unless I have no other choice. What a horrible way to treat someone. I'm in shock and my feelings are very hurt.

Parting with my Son's "too small" clothes has been very emotional for me, perhaps more emotional than it should be.  To me, it's a feeling that we're giving up on having a second child.  I'm getting tired of thinking about it, if it happens it happens but at this point I have had to make the decision to just move on, no more hoping, wishing and planning for it.  Sadness then mixed with anger and the tears started to roll.  When I get angry, I cry.  As I said, I thought I was doing a great thing, donating the clothes to them.  Getting spit in the face like that really set me back and hurt my feelings.  I don't feel I deserved to be treated in such a way.  They sell their children clothes by the box, all they have to do is look through the box to make sure nothing is there that shouldn't be and put it out on the floor!  If I knew who to make a complaint to I would.  No need of her speaking to me that way.

I thought I would post this update of my experience with giving away the clothes.  Thank goodness I already had arrangements to leave the books at another charitable resource, I also gave them the other box of clothes that was in the car when the lady yelled at me.  I'm still in shock....and upset.


'til next time.....hopefully it will be a much happier, positive post!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you had that experience. If there is a center for pregnant teens in your area, they are always looking for donated baby clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I contacted the "Family Resource Centre" where I dropped off the one remaining box of clothing and she said they are more than happy to accept any donations I have. They give the clothing to families in need for free. She said the ladies were commenting on what beautiful clothing the box contained. Many of the sleepers were brand new, never worn as he grew out of that size too quickly. Sadly, "the Daisy" got those. Thanks for your suggestion, I suspect there's families of all ages using the resource centre.

    ReplyDelete