A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Saturday, November 03, 2012

No Romance.....

My Son is napping, I sat down to enjoy a delicious mussel supper when I realized the chicken coop wasn't closed up for the night, or so I thought.  When I arrived at the coop I found about 6 birds huddled outside the CLOSED door.  I am unsure if the wind blew it shut or my adorable Son closed it as the button was turned but I was smart enough to know the chickens would "go towards the light".  So, I hung my little LED flashlight inside the coop and shooed them inside.  Taking a quick glance I noticed our Momma hen and two chicks missing.  I then made a check under and round the building.  I found her, the chicks and 4 others perched in a fir tree near the coop.  I took the chicks first and put them in a secure pen inside the coop to keep them inside and safe.  I then closed the main door, opened one of the hatches and began transporting the hens from their nesting spot in the fir tree.  They were not happy with me, even after I explained it was better than being eaten by the giant neighbourhood raccoon.  Finally, scratched and poop covered arms later, all the birds are inside, safe.  Or I think they are ALL inside as I could not find any  more outside.

Owning a small Farm is not Romantic in the least.  It's a lot of work!  

'til next time!

1 comment: