A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Grocery Shopping, A New Frontier.....

So, today I went grocery shopping.  "So What?" you say?...well, the "So What" is I went shopping armed with my list of what I actually NEEDED to complete the next 2 weeks worth of meals, aside from fresh Veggies that is.  As I pushed my Son in the Race Car Shopping Cart up and down the isles, crossing the items off my list as I went, I realized this is the first time in a long time my mind wasn't buzzing with activity trying to figure out what I MIGHT make for supper this week or in the near future.  Grocery shopping was actually more relaxing than I expected, armed with my new list of what I needed.  I didn't roll up and down the isles staring at the items on the shelf wondering if I WANTED any of them, I knew what I NEEDED and all I had to do was find it.

I also purchased two binders, one will house the months recipes in order of which they are going to be used.  It is bright orange so a "certain someone" can't say they don't see it.  The other one is bright green and will be used for my notes and holding recipes not being used this month.  Or that's the plan for now.

So far there's only one recipe in the binder, tomorrow's recipe :)


Things are slowly coming together.....I will conquer this challenge!  I am already feeling good about it, much better than I felt last week when it seemed like things would never come together.  What's nice about it is, even though I posted a list on the fridge to write down our "favourite meals", I have started going through my cookbooks again.  I'm rediscovering recipes I used to love cooking.  The one I'm cooking tomorrow is one of them.  Asian Marinated Pork Tenderloin.  YUM!  I am so looking forward to tomorrow nights supper!

Making a meal plan will also help me decide what to do with our "cuts of meat" this year.  Last year we used most of the roasts for home smoked ham, even though I don't really care for ham......  Today I had to purchase a boneless loin roast.  Doesn't make sense to have 6 hams in the freezer and no roasts.  We had roasts but they are all gone, we eat way more roasts than ham.  Last year I mentioned this, it fell on deaf ears, this year I'm insisting NO hams, or maybe one, and the rest are roasts.  Sorry, a bit off track.......

Since I'm already off track, here's a picture of some berries I picked from our little strawberry patch, they are delicious!....



Okay, Back On Track!!!......

Just curious, has my meal planning journey encouraged anyone else to start a meal plan?  Or if you have already been planning your meals, what's your strategy?

Thanks for visiting!  Please come again!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! That recipe looks delicious! I just thought of another advantage to carrying a grocery list and that is to be able to say to whoever is shopping with you 'I'm sorry, but that's not on our shopping list.' I don't know how well that would go over if the person shopping with you is an adult, though. I'm thinking lead balloon. lol A bright orange recipe binder is a fantastic idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete