A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Over the Hedge...

I love that movie, the squirrel is hilarious.

Sorry, back on track.....Today, while shopping for larger pepper plants and cucumber plants for my garden I came across a great sale on Green Boxwood.  We have been wanting to plant trees or a hedge of some sort near our property line for some time now and this was a great opportunity to get a good start on it.

Unfortunately I couldn't get nearly enough to do the job complete but it's a great start.  Our property line goes on a sharp angle, very narrow in the front, very wide in the back.  I wish they used straight lines, it would make life so much easier.  We ran a string from one marker to the other to make sure we gave the plants enough room to grow, giving them 3 feet on our neighbours side.

It was a very hot day today, I am hot and exhausted from working in the heat so I'm now working on my menu plan for July, setting under a ceiling fan.  This is my first attempt.  I am posting our work hours on the menu plan so I know what we can do on that day.  The first few months will be the hardest, things should get easier the more plans I do.....  I have 6 days before July 1st!

2 comments:

  1. I hope the hedge is going on the northwest line, not the southeast! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes, it's already started. I don't want to appear to be a bad neighbour, we have pondered what to do for a long long time but this has always been an ongoing situation between the two properties, at least we didn't erect a barbed wire fence like my grandfather and uncle did LOL :D I feel stupid complaining about someone mowing my lawn, a foot or two is one thing but 6 feet plus makes the rest of our lawn look bad. Sadly some of his driveway is actually on our property as well. :/

      Delete