A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

A never ending cycle.....

Wow, it has been a long time since I even attempted to write!  Here's the post I started way back on May 27th!  I thought I would post it for you to bring you up to present day.  


We are still working hard to finish our newest building on the farm, our pig shelter.  Right now they are enjoying a make-do shelter we created for them, not near as fancy as the little barn we are working on.  The pigs are growing.  No, we have not named them, I have a problem naming something I intend to eat.....

Just this evening I discovered one of our baby layer chicks got its leg caught under the wall that separates the two brooders.  We have no idea how it could have gotten its leg under there as it was quite a chore for us to get it out.  Since its leg is quite bloody we are nursing it back to health in the comforts of the house.  Its own box, heat bulb, water and food.  Right now it is resting.  I'm sure it was quite traumatic to be stuck like that.  It drank a bit of water but hasn't eaten anything yet.

We have 5 turkey chicks.  We're trying to raise turkeys again this year, hoping we learned from our mistakes in the past....


1 comment:

  1. In farming there are no mistakes, only experiments! ... The original quote says 'gardening', but I think it works for farming too, don't you? ;-) I hope the chick is okay.

    ReplyDelete