A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Monthly Meal Planning OVERLOAD!

As I mentioned I have been working on my July Meal Plan.....So far I have 8 days planned for...the rest are incomplete....I have posted our work schedules on each day so I know who is home to cook, how many will be dining etc.  I have also listed events we have scheduled so I know if we will actually be home!

Tonight I got out one of my favourite cookbooks to choose some recipes to add to my favourites list.  That's when it hit me, the ingredients listing, the organizing, the shopping....  Oh my, I have a long long way to go!!!!  Panic set in, I took a deep breath and reminded myself "Rome wasn't built in a day".  I will get this, I will accomplish what I have set out to do.  It may take a few months to get it down pat and I guess I will always be working on the "ingredients list" every time I add a new recipe.

I am taking my "favourite meals" list with me to work tomorrow as well as a print out of my calendar.  I will work on it during my lunch hour.  It's going to take time but I will figure it out.  I'm starting by filling in my calendar with meals, then I will look up those meals and prepare the ingredients list.  I will then do an inventory of my cupboards to see what I already have, last step will be preparing the shopping list.  Doesn't sound so complicated when it's written down.  :)

Thanks for Visiting!


1 comment:

  1. Tereasa, you are doing fantastic! Taking your life style into consideration is smart.

    It does take a few days to get everything on paper, but once it's done I'm sure you will love it. Renoman and I have started working on a summer meal list. It dawned on us a few days ago that we eat a little differently in the warm weather so a revised menu is in order for us.

    Hang in there! As you said, it takes time, and in the end I think it's worth the intense beginning. Living with a 30 day menu is only time consuming in the beginning. :-)

    ReplyDelete