A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Menu Planning update

I'm still working on it!  I am realizing how it's going to help use up the leftovers as I am incorporating them into future meals, this I already knew but seeing it on paper makes me happy.  I am by no means organized and ready.  I am still filling in the days, I don't have the cookbooks listed or the ingredients listed, or my shopping list prepared!  In reality my monthly meal plan may turn out to be a two week meal plan for the first month since I almost have two weeks complete.  I still have to do an "inventory" of my cupboards.  My goal is to get those first two weeks planned out and prepared for, then tackle the next two or three weeks.

And, to be honest, there are some days that are simply going to be "take out" days.  I used to watch a program where she called them "fright night" and had an easy meal for the family to prepare that night.  I am trying to plan for that but on the days I get home at 6:30 and hubby leaves for work at 7:00 after he just got home at 8:30am, it's probably going to mean a take out meal!

So far I have some frozen chicken and gravy in the freezer for a work night meal.  I am going to prepare some home made lasagna for another work night meal.  Today was going to be grocery day but I changed my plans, trying to get this menu figured out so I can get my grocery list made!

I keep forgetting running this household is another job all of its own!

Thanks for visiting!

1 comment: