A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Spring on the Farm Photo Gallery.....


Here's a photo gallery of our Farm this spring.....

These are our Turkey Chicks we hatched using one of our broody layer hens.  They are Beltsville and Bourbon Red....


These are the Turkey Chicks present day.  They are in their new home in the new barn.  Yesterday we put chicken wire on the outdoor access hatch to give them fresh air and sunshine.  We were hoping to get the run built yesterday but decided to put some plants in my garden before the plants died and/or it started to rain again!


Here is the Pig Shelter.  They love it.....


And here's the boys.  They are growing nicely.  They have a pasture 65' x 75' to roam and dig......


Here's their water barrel.  It's placed within the trees in hopes that helps to keep the water cooler.  For a treat I sometimes over fill it to put a puddle under it where they can wallow and cool off......


Here's our Solar Fencer.  We selected this type so we can move the pig pasture anywhere on our property and not have the concern of running extension cords or batteries....


 And finally the garden is getting ready for planting.  As I believe I mentioned I considered not planing a garden this year.  The weather has been so miserable.  But when the sun stayed out for more than a day the fever hit me.  I also found 4 tomato plants/pkg for 75 cents on Friday.  I couldn't resist that deal so that sealed my gardening fate for sure.  I will talk more about the variety of tomatoes I planted in another post......


And there they are, planted and sheltered from wind until they get stronger, 16 tomato plants.  Every year I say I'm not planting any more than one pkg of tomato plants and every year I get drawn into the different varieties and can't resist trying something new.....




I hope you enjoyed this little look at what we're up to these days on our busy little farm.

Thanks for visiting!



No comments:

Post a Comment