A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Garden Is Complete....

We had a beautiful HOT sunny weekend and I finally finished planting my garden.

Now, the waiting begins.  Watching for the little seeds to sprout.  Waiting patiently for the lettuce and spinach to grow.....

Every year I get taken up by the variety of Tomato plants available.  Every year I buy too many varieties.  What did I plant this year?  Well, here's the list:

Celebrity:  Bears clusters of large tomatoes that are prized for their flavour.

Bush Beef:  A very popular variety for shorter growing regions.  This is a short bushy plant that grows to 3 feet and yields huge amounts of 8oz beefsteak tomatoes in clusters.  I can taste the home smoked bacon and tomato sandwiches now....YUM!

Scotia:  Very popular home grown variety in Nova Scotia.  Sought after for its ability to set fruit in cool weather and produce firm, deep red, globe shaped tomatoes with good flavour.  I have planted this variety for years.  If you are unsure of what the summer weather will bring it's a safe variety to plant in our area.....

Sweet Mojo:  Red grape type tomato, extra long clusters of 20 - 21 fruit with high sugar flavour....YUM!

And I am super excited that I have finally tried this variety:

Brandywine:  First grown by the Amish over 200 years ago, Brandywine tomatoes produce large, fleshy fruit and are supposed to be the best tasting tomato available....we'll see....I know the plant is certainly out growing all the others.

And I forgot.....

Roma: These are perfect for canning, very meaty interior, few seeds.

Here is a current photo of my garden on this rainy morning.  It's soon time to take their "greenhouses" away as they are peeking out through the top and appear to be well established.....


I sure hope I left enough room between the Brandywine and the Sweet Mojo!

Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

  1. I planted ONE kind of heritage tomato that I started from seed inside in March. lol Compared to your variety of plants I suppose it seems pretty plain! It's called 10 fingers of Naples and was used for canning and paste. I can't wait to see how they turn out! Having said that I've had volunteers sprout up where last year's tomatoes were. :-) Yours look really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year we had tomato plants sprouting everywhere. I didn't put fresh compost in my garden this year so there aren't any surprises. I forgot about the Roma and misnamed the Beef tomato - it's a Bush Beef. So many I can't remember the names lol

      Delete