A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Over The Hedge....Revisited....

Tonight as I am rushing to get our lawn mowed before the next rain starts, and as I blow the grass clippings into piles...I thought about the post I made regarding our new hedge.  It concerned me that I may have made the wrong impression.

The hedge is #1 - landscaping for our property  #2 - defines our property line....and why is this so important you ask?  Here's the MAIN reason why we planted a hedge - the WEEDMAN!  I have made phone calls to their office asking them, no begging them, to  please stop spraying our property.  We had Haskap Berry bushes planted well on our property and a Bleeding Heart plant given to me by my Great Aunt both died suspiciously, previously I had watched where the spray was being applied and requested they not apply it to our property. We have since requested they NOT spray our boxwood but their response to that was "the herbicide won't kill them"....um, okay...time will tell.  When I phoned about our dead Haskap and Bleeding Heart they said "it's not supposed to kill other plants but sometimes it does happen...."  How the heck does a herbicide know if it's a Dandelion or a Haskap?  Also, a very important reason we want to keep the Weedman off our property is the fact that we feed our grass clippings to our animals.  We DO NOT want to be feeding our animals grass containing herbicide!  And yet another important reason is our crops we have planted.  We have Rhubarb and a Strawberry bed not far from where the Haskap plants perished.  My Vegetable garden is on the back corner of our property, quite a distance from where they were spraying but on a windy day I don't know how far that spray will travel.  So, as you can see there were many factors involved in deciding to add a hedge to the landscape of our property.  

It's not a neighbourhood feud like it may have sounded in my last post.  I don't want to sound like someone airing her troubles on her blog.  We are still friendly neighbours, we just have different views on what our properties are for.  He loves his weedless lawn, I love my weeds and grass that grow tall enough to harvest for feeding my animals.  We both have a right to do whatever it is we wish to do with our own property.  That being said I would like to see the herbicide end at the property line.  Now, at least the Weedman will stay on the other side of the hedge!

1 comment:

  1. Very well said. It's unfortunate that your neighbour lives upwind on the dominant wind side. It's even more unfortunate that in his world having a weed free lawn is desirable. :-(

    ReplyDelete