A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Saturday, October 06, 2012

What's going to be on your Thanksgiving table?

That is what is on  my mind today.

We have a freezer full of delicious home grown chicken, but my heart is leaning towards the traditional Thanksgiving Bird, the turkey.  Though I find it hard to justify purchasing a commercial grown turkey when, again, we have a freezer full of delicious home grown chicken the size of a turkey!  So I think I will select the biggest chicken we have and pretend it's a turkey. ha ha.

As far as sides go, stuffing is a must.  Not sure if I will stuff the chicken, a.k.a turkey, or just do a dressing on the side.  Then there's the decision as to whether to have Acorn or Butternut squash.  I'm leaning towards Acorn, I've had Butternut quite a few time this past week or so.  And I would like to use one of my Butternut to make a comforting soup, so I have to ration them a bit.  And I think I will steam some peas or mixed vegetables for added flavour and colour.  And, without a doubt there has to be mashed potato and gravy.  The only vegetable my husband will eat, potato.  sigh....




Home made cranberry sauce is a must!

And what about dessert?  Pumpkin pie?  Squash pie?  Apple pie?  I am thinking Apple pie since we have a 20lb bag of apples just begging to be made into a delicious pie.

What's going to be on your Thanksgiving Table this year? I hope it will be bountiful and delicious!  Everything your heart and tummy desires.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment