A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Getting ready for winter....

We're busily working on our winter "to do" list, things we have put off all summer and can't put off any longer.  We are working on getting our firewood into the basement.  The humidifier is running over time to dry it out.  We have a lot of wood that still needs to be cut into furnace sized pieces.  We also need to repair our furnace.  The roof of the "firebox" has warped.  As usual, I'm frustrated that things are not made as heavy as they used to be.  This never should have happened after only a few years of use.  But, apparently, it's "normal".

Our air exchanger needs to be serviced.  Something else that had to be invented to help a new house "breathe".  Makes no sense to me but it's law you put the energy burning devices into your home to give you fresh air.  At the same time they suck the moisture from your air so you need to run humidifiers so you don't dry up!  The first year we lived in our house the moisture was usually around 28%.  They recommend 55% so we had to get humidifiers to add moisture to the air.  Makes no sense to me....

It seems there's always something to be done, it never ends.  I would love to be able to come home, set on my deck with a glass of wine and just relax.  No thoughts rushing through my brain about what needs to be done, just quiet contentment.  I'm not sure how to find "quiet contentment" yet but I'm trying to figure it out.

That brings me to this thought that's rolling around in my brain.....

Our latest flock of meat chickens will be going to butcher November 7th.  If it is up to me we will NOT be raising two separate flocks in one year.  I haven't decided which is the best time of year to raise them yet.  Earlier or later.  We had less loss earlier in the year, the days are longer and the weather is warmer.  I think the cooler damp weather has made it harder for us with this flock.  Also, the shorter days has made it harder as far as maintenance goes.  Since we both work outside the home, our schedule does not always allow us time to clean the coops during daylight hours.  Also, when they are out during the day it's often dark by the time I get home to shut them in, risking "critter" attacks.  I have been reflecting on it and weighing the "pros and cons" and I think I have decided it was easier raising the flock earlier in the season when the weather was warmer and the days were longer.

That's my random thoughts for the day!

'til next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment