A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Friday, January 03, 2014

Friday's Supper Recipe

I have been trying to think of ways to make my Blog more interesting to you and me.  I feel like I'm discussing the same topics over and over again.  One of the topics I have been discussing is our battle to eat less take out and cook at home more.  This battle has taken me back to my favourite cookbooks.  I happily browsed through a cookbook on a cold winter day like today, looking for new recipes to try.  With a larger family, a larger farm and many small business hats to wear time doesn't always allow me the leisure of browsing through my cookbooks. But I'm working on finding the time.  Pinterest is a great resource for new recipes and it's so simple to find what you're looking for.  If you're cooking with pork, just search pork.  Though I will warn you, you may not only get pork recipes.

If you would like to follow me on Pinterest here is my link: http://www.pinterest.com/luv2cook2/

I am starting a new addition to my Blog I hope you will enjoy.  It ties into my efforts to avoid take out, cook more at home and meal planning.  I will randomly post the recipe for what we are having for supper, starting with today.  Many of the recipes will contain Epicure Selections products as this is a product I use in my kitchen since it contains low/NO sodium and pure ingredients.  I have given up the salt shaker and replaced it with real seasoning.  The ready to use onion, garlic and seasonings make preparing my meals for the slow cooker on mornings I go to work much quicker.  If you have question of what other product you could use as a substitute message me and I will be happy to help you out.

Yesterday we had baked ham so today we are having Split Pea Soup.  Here's my recipe:

Split Pea Soup
1 lb Green Split Peas
6 cups of water
2 tbsp Epicure 3 Onion Dip Mix Seasoning
2 tbsp Epicure Vegetable Bouillon Mix
1 1/2 cups Chopped Carrot
1 1/2 cups Chopped Potato
1 Celery stalk chopped
1 ham bone with meat (left over from previous days ham roast)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Sort, wash and drain your peas, checking for stones.  Place all ingredients in large soup pot.  Amount of water may vary for your type of split peas, check package directions for proper amount of water for your peas.  You will want to "skim the foam" off the top for a few minutes until it stops forming.

Bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer.  Cover loosely and simmer soup for about 2 hours or until peas are tender.  Be sure to stir occasionally to prevent peas from sticking to the bottom of your pot.

Some people like to puree the soup, I like it just the way it is.  I remove the meat from the ham bone and serve it with the soup.  You can return the meat to the pot if you like or serve it on the side.

A perfect meal for a cold winter blizzard day like today!




Everything into the pot!  Simmering away.....on it's way to homemade deliciousness.....

Right now I am experimenting with organic foods so for this soup I did use organic split peas and organic carrots.  I do notice a difference in flavour of the organic carrots, they are much tastier.  I have had an issue with carrots tasting "soapy" so I will gladly pay for organic carrots if they actually taste like carrots!

I hope my meal planning discussions and my recipe posts encourage you to cook more at home.  You savour the aroma of the food as it cooks, you anticipate the meal.  Cooking a delicious meal at home is so much more rewarding than take out!

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment