A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Thursday, January 02, 2014

As Kids we hated "hand me downs"......

or at least most of us did, as adults we shop at thrift stores and actually purchase someone's hand me downs!

I am amused to say I have become somewhat addicted to shopping at the thrift stores. To many this would be shocking since in the past they have really "creeped me out".  The smell of moth balls and thought of wearing clothing that belonged to a stranger was a bit gross to me.  Especially since a friend pointed out some people don't wear underwear.  :/  But with my weight loss this year I started shopping at thrift stores to save money.  I don't plan to stay the size I am currently so I don't want to spend good money on clothes I won't wear out.  I have found some excellent deals and have come to "enjoy the hunt".  I get very excited when I find something to fit me that still has the tags on it!  A new pair of jeans or dress pants for under $5 "SCORE".  I proudly point out to friends and family that I'm "wearing the jeans (or dress pants) I bought at Frenchy's".  I don't have a lot of success finding tops, mostly jeans and dress pants.




I draw the line at shoes, under garments and swim suits.  They are just a bit too personal to share with a previous owner.  But to each their own.  I wash my purchases in hot water and then in a normal laundry wash.  I'm not saying it still doesn't creep me out a bit but I don't find the places smell like moth balls anymore.  Maybe I'm just used to the smell.  Either way, I have found some really nice pants like the jeans I am wearing right now.

We have saved a ton of money on work shirts for my husband.  He destroys shirts on a regular basis so purchasing good used ones is better than spending $20 on a new shirt.  And of course you can't beat a thrift store for children's clothing.  They grow out of it so quickly and they also destroy home clothes quickly you don't want to spend a lot of money if you don't have to.  I think searching for children's clothing is what really got me into thrift store shopping and then it became an obsession searching for clothing for myself.

I've mentioned searching campsites, well, as crazy as it sounds while searching for campsites I'm also searching for near by thrift stores.  ha ha  Hey, if you're going to travel you gotta do some shopping too!

Do you shop at Thrift Stores?



Photo Source:http://www.guysfrenchys.com/index.html

2 comments:

  1. I remember when Frenchy's first started and I was so embarrassed for anyone at school to know that my mom shopped there. Now, with the environmental concerns and people exposing fashion as the unnecessary and often harmful industry that it is, thrift stores are the 'in' thing in some circles. I love thrifting now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron is not the biggest fan of wearing Frenchy's clothing but I scored a brand new pair of pants for him today that will be perfect for Church (boy, won't he be excited lol) that still have tags on them and a brand new t-shirt for me that still has the tag on it. wooot wooot!

      Delete