A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Spring Has Sprung.....

....according to one of our laying hens.  She has decided it would be a great idea to get a head start on expanding the family.  This has made removing the eggs from her nest a little tricky since she is not a happy camper when you reach your hand into her nest box.  I left the coop with a few battle wounds on my hand yesterday....


Poor Momma hen, I see her comb has been bitten by a rooster a few times.  Maybe she's just pretending to want to hatch some eggs so she gets a break from all the "drama" in the coop.....  There were no eggs under her yet this morning.  I am hoping to source some fertilized eggs from another person's flock for her to hatch.  My husband calls it "adding new blood to the flock".

I'll keep you up to date on what's happening with "Momma Hen"

'til next time

UPDATE:  I think I may have sourced some hatching eggs for our Momma Hen, we should have a dozen by the end of the week!  I'll keep you all posted.  :)

1 comment:

  1. It may not totally feel like Spring, but nature knows best :-) Fingers crossed for a larger family in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete