A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Monday, March 11, 2013

Let the sprouting begin!

I have been wanting to make a sprout stir fry for weeks but refuse to purchase sprouts in the store when I have a sprout grower at home.  SO, I decided today is the day to get it out of the box and learn to use it.  We purchased this model on clearance after Christmas, I was disappointed to find out the Company I purchased it from now sells an "improved" model.  But I guess that's why it was on clearance......




I am trying a sprout mix blend as well as mung beans....


It's quite simple to use. Add one or two tablespoons of seed to the tray, fill the upper tray with water almost to the top and that water filters down through all the trays to the bottom catch tray.  You "water" them twice a day.  There's an option of growing them in a dim lit area or give them access to sun for more nutrients.  I have decided to grow in sunlight for more nutrients.

The package says sprouts will be ready in 2 - 7 days.  I suspect the smaller seed produces in 2 days, the seed I am using will probably be closer to the 7 day growth period.  Apparently grown sprouts will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.

I'll keep you posted on my newest growing adventure.

'til next time!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds exciting. There's always something fun going on at your house! I've given a link to a free PDF on my blog last Friday. You may find it an interesing read. It's a basic sprouting guide from "Making the Best of Basics" by James Talmage Stevens

    I'm sure your sprouts will be fantastic, and if they aren't the chickens will love them. :-)

    ReplyDelete