A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Hey, What About Me!?!

I have spent a lot of time bragging about how well our farm animals are fed and how healthy they are because of it.  It was brought to my attention this week that I have not been taking care to make sure what I am feeding myself is nutritious and good for ME.  My body is now saying "hey, what about me!?!"

I worry more about taking care of everyone else and put myself last.  I also became oblivious of the "extras" I've been eating by finishing off something my Son decided he didn't want.  I realized this the other evening when he asked for a piece of cheese.  He took a bite and decided he didn't want the rest.  I caught myself automatically putting that piece of cheese into MY mouth!  A light bulb went off....that was something I would have eaten even though I wasn't even hungry so it "didn't go to waste".  All along these odds and ends have been going to my waist!

I wouldn't carry a bucket of soda pop to our pigs and chickens, I wouldn't dream of putting that poison into their bodies, but I was putting it into mine!  I wouldn't feed them potato chips and french fries...but I put it into my own body!  Doesn't make sense, does it.

About 7 years ago I joined a well known weight loss program.  I had great success on the program, I went from a size 22 to a size 12.  Since receiving my wake up call this week, I have joined that program again and so far I have lost 5lbs in only 4 days.  I realize this is due to drinking water instead of sugary soda pop but I am still pleased with the result.  This program is fantastic for me because I can still go out to dinner with my family, I just need to plan ahead and account for what I'm going to have.  I can keep track of what I am eating and plan what I will eat next, taking the impulse junk food meals off my plate.  It's all common sense, we all know what is good for us, it's just making the right choice when the wrong choice is staring you straight in the face.

I was scolded when I said I used to be on this program......the Dr. said "they teach you skills for life"...well, my life took drastic changes over the years resulting in ME being the last person on my mind.....until now.

Here's to a new start OR a restart if you will.  I will keep you up to date on how I am doing with my healthier ME lifestyle.

'til next time!

1 comment:

  1. I missed seeing this post. It must have been in the cross over from Google Reader to Bloglovin.

    I wish you the best of luck in your new program. I'm sure they've made changes and updates in it since you were on it 7 years ago. :-)

    ReplyDelete