A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Friday, January 09, 2015

Growing Vegetables in the Winter.....

My best laid plans of doing bookwork and baking cookies quickly got curbed to researching how to grow my own vegetables in the winter.  Why did this project fall onto my plate all of a sudden?  Well, a trip to the grocery store triggered it.  My husband went out to pick up a few groceries.  On my meal plan for tonight is Pork Roast and Baked Potatoes so I thought "lettuce and cream" would go great with that, what a treat it would be.  When hubby returned from the grocery store he had a sad looking shrivelled poor excuse for a bundle of leaf lettuce and it cost $3.  Seriously I can hold this bit of lettuce in the palm of my hand - for $3!!??  It looks like it was dragged behind the delivery truck from whatever country it was grown in.  That's it, my plan is to build a cold frame and grow my own lettuce and whatever else I can.  We already have the frame, the pigs threw it around in my garden all fall but I'm pretty sure it's still sturdy.  We will have to modify it a lot and hubby may just want to start from scratch, I am in search of a building plan.  Wish me luck!  Here's proof I can do it, this lady only lives about 45 minutes from our homestead and she says it's really easy to do.  Yay!  She shows her cold frame plan and it includes recycled materials which is even better!!  Right now it's raining here so maybe it will be warm enough to build our frame and start growing some lettuce soon.  Oh how exciting.  Now to talk to hubby which isn't a worry, he's fantastically accommodating and willing to lend a hand.........

http://eastcoastliving.ca/2011/11/gardening-winter11/

No comments:

Post a Comment