A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Tuesday, January 06, 2015

BRRRRR!

The weather has turned cold here on the South Shore of Nova Scotia.  I have been walking outside all summer on my lunch break at work.  It's a nice use of my lunch break, the fresh air and sunshine is rejuvenating.  With the arrival of the cold weather I have started walking at our local recreation centre.  It's quite nice, listening to the music and watching the public skaters below.

Today as I walked around the track, watching the skaters, I was once again impressed by the ease the elderly gentlemen skate.  So relaxed, so skilled. Their arms gently swaying in rhythm, their feet cross over each other as they round the corner.  I admire their skill.

I also observe the lady figure skating in the middle of the rink.  You can truly see her love of the sport as she glides and twirls about the ice.  Perhaps she's reminiscing of her younger years as a figure skater, she seems to be in a zone, a place of her own.

 I also relate to and sympathize with the middle aged man who fell and cleaned a good patch of ice with his buttocks.  That is my skill level.  Recently I was skating at a good pace, fell and slid a good 8 feet before slamming into the boards and skinning my knee.  I hobbled to the car that day.  The next time on skates I was a bit more cautious and timid.  Definitely not relaxed with my arms swaying.....  But non the less I enjoy skating whether it be alone or with my family.  It's great exercise and a great way to relax.  You're focused on your movements, giving your mind a break from thinking about the chores at home, the bills, the bookwork.....

Having a winter activity you enjoy helps the season move along quicker.  So far the winter has been easy on us, we've been lucky to have very little snow though I hear that is changing the end of this week.  We are already planning our camping trips for this spring and summer.  Just the discussion of summer vacations and activities made me a bit giddy today.  It's always nice to have something to look forward to, isn't it?  

'til next time, take care and have some fun!  Life's too short to work it away....

No comments:

Post a Comment