A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Monday, January 07, 2013

Back on the Farm.....

Our chickens are finding the cold temperatures uncomfortable so today I set up two heat lamps for them.  I am hoping this makes it more comfortable for them and also keeps their water from freezing.  We are feeding them cracked corn with their mash as they say this is a "hot" food that helps them stay warm.  Worth a try I guess.

The hens always stop laying in the winter.  I guess they need their energy to stay warm and the shorter days means they aren't awake as much to eat and drink.  Plus, I believe by nature they would not reproduce in the winter cold as the eggs and chicks would not survive.  So, we're buying eggs and feeding chickens.  Sometimes I wonder how brilliant a plan that is but then again, they will lay again in the spring.  We will eventually have fresh eggs again.....

That's about all the news I have.  Winter time is pretty quiet.  No baby chicks, no meat chickens, no garden.......  Just a few layer chickens and roosters.

'til next time!


2 comments:

  1. Hi, there!
    There are ways to preserve eggs safely which you may know already. I have just started to research this.

    I've been really interested in learning how to preserve some 'challenging' foods without freezing or refrigeration...like the kale from my garden, butter and eggs.

    My regular egg lady has no eggs right now either. And, I was thinking that if only I had bought some extra and preserved them when there were plenty I would have some now when the hens aren't producing. I am paying $5/dozen at the farmers market instead of $2.50 from my egg lady. I'll be ready next year!

    Also, when I had layers, I kept a light in their coop. I turned it on at 6 in the morning and turned it off before I went to bed at night. The hens kept laying right through the dark months. I was amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The heat lamps are giving light so I am thinking the ladies might start laying again with the light and heat. Though our hen population has dwindled with hawk attacks and Penny attacks :(

    ReplyDelete