A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Popeye The Sailor......Chickens?????

The title sounds very silly but you are about to understand why it is the best title for this post......

I pulled the rest of my "bolted" spinach from the garden for the meat chickens. I had just served the meat chickens their evening feeding of grower mash so I figured the spinach would be there as a treat for them later.  After putting the spinach bouquet in the coop I decided a photo of them nibbling at the leaves would be nice for my blog.  I headed to the house for the camera and when I got back this is what I found.........



Once they got a taste of the greens and realized it was fresh garden spinach they apparently went haywire, knocking over the bucket I had the stalks placed in and tearing at the leaves like an animal that hadn't been fed for weeks.......I was pleased to get this shot, this guy reached into the bucket to get one of the few remaining leaves.  Had it not been for that, the photos would have been pretty sad since they had torn almost all the leaves off the stalks while I was gone for a few minutes to get the camera......



Ha Ha, I just noticed the hen in the back, apparently she's more of a grains lady, she doesn't care there's fresh spinach in the run at all......



This stalk was full of leafy green spinach, only a few tiny leaves left....




It's funny because I had just said to my husband I feel like I'm feeding the dinosaurs from "Jurassic Park" when I go into their coop.  This is proof of what I'm talking about.  

I challenge you to show me a commercial raised chicken that has dined on fresh organic garden spinach!

'til next time!

2 comments:

  1. :-) I've been giving mine kale. They just about come through the wire when the see me picking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had Kale before but I bought some seeds the other day. When I pull my beets (the chickens will get the beet greens) I am going to plant Kale in that empty spot and also a second planting of leaf lettuce. I've already replanted my spinach and baby salad greens.

      It's a lot of hard work but isn't it great to know that the chicken on your plate had a happy life and enjoyed such wonderful food before ...... well, you know ;)

      Delete