A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Monday, July 02, 2012

Don't count your chicks before they're hatched....

but so far we have 10 healthy little fuzz balls and more eggs pipped and chirping inside their shell.  We did lose a few, they didn't quite make it out of the shell.  We have been experiencing very high temps these past few days and I'm wondering if that would have something to do with it.  Like having a man made incubator too hot, they can start to hatch before they are ready.  But, on the brighter side of life, here's an updated picture of Momma and Babies.  Super Cute with the little one on Momma's Back :)


I did invest in some tomato towers for my garden this year.  I sure hope they work!   They certainly look great.


And here's another picture of our meat chicks enjoying the clover.  I can't wait to get the barn finished so we don't have to keep moving them in and out.  I worry about handling them so much and hurting them as they get a bit upset sometimes, especially today when we had to take them in when it was still sunny.  The sounds of Thunder in the distance told us it was time to get them to safety before the storm hit.....


And speaking of the new barn, we completed most of our Canada Day "to do" list. Here is a picture of the window being installed.  The walls are almost all boarded in on the inside.  We did  not get the door hinged....


This is a picture of the window from the inside.  These walls are all completely boarded in now.  The window is vented so there will be some nice air movement going through the coop.


As I write, with the Thunder Storm above head, I'm watching a little male hummingbird enjoying a snack at our window feeder.  No pictures of him, I reached for the camera and scared him away.  They do love the rain.

HA! I GOT A PICTURE!!  I HAD TO BE VERY VERY FAST!




And that's my update on what's happening on the farm.  I hope you all had an enjoyable Canada Day, doing whatever it is you love to do.  We did.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment