A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

A little less intense....

My last post was a little emotional.  Hearing of a 6 year old having a heart attack hit me hard since I have a small child of my own.  This post is a little less intense......

Our first ripened blueberry!  I was so excited I snapped this picture, then decided I wouldn't eat it until my husband saw it......when I went to the garden this morning it was gone, eaten by some lucky bird.  All that remains are green ones......time for bird netting!



The garden is coming along nicely.  Lots of fresh greens......I'm loving it!



Hoping to have a picture of our finished chicken run tomorrow.  We worked hard to finish it today but it wasn't possible.  We need more materials.  So, if everything goes as planned, tomorrow the meat chickens will be enjoying fresh air and sunshine once again.  And won't they be happy!  Right now they have become little escape artists, when the door opens they are quick to run out!  We would let them free range but we're afraid the layer flock may pick on them and also they may not be able to find their way back inside.  Plus they are very close to being freezer ready so it would be a shame to have a hawk take them away......

Thanks for visiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment