A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Sunday, June 03, 2012

Garden is planted!

My experience with the little peat pellets was not a bad one.  I have transplanted my cucumbers into the garden, the roots were nicely developed.  I am hoping they will grow to be happy, cucumber producing plants :)

With the cucumbers planted my garden is complete.  I have beans peeking their way out of the soil as well as peas.  I had a little issue with tomato beetle and have since planted marigolds throughout the garden in hopes to deter the bugs.  I have planted 4 varieties of tomato plants this year, 16 plants total.

"Scotia", a staple plant in Nova Scotia since it was created for growing in our province.

"Big Beef", the great one slice per sandwich tomato.

"Early Girl", new to me but got great reviews, matures around the same time as Scotia.

"Better Boy", also new to me and also got great reviews for flavour and for producing the most fruit by a tomato plant. 324 lbs of fruit to be exact.  Pretty sure with our short growing season in Nova Scotia I will not reach that number.

I was planning to plant some heirloom varieties but I just don't have the room.  16 tomato plants in a small garden is already too many.  So, heirloom tomatoes will be put on the back burner for next years garden.

I do love cherry and grape tomatoes but I find they crack so quickly and last year I had a bad experience with the plants breaking down and laying in the soil.  No matter what I tried for staking it just didn't work.  I have considered trying a cherry tomato in an upside down planter, just haven't figured out where to hang it that it would be safe from animals and pests.  And, with all the tomato plants I already have I'm not sure I NEED another one.

I have planted yellow beets and spinach for the first time.  Returning to the garden this year: Sugar snap peas, shell peas, leaf lettuce, swiss chard, baby greens, red beets, yellow beans, romaine lettuce, green peppers, 2 varieties of cucumbers and, of course my 16 tomato plants.

1 comment:

  1. This is what I did for grape tomatoes. Put up a stake when you plant them so you won't harm roots by staking later. Stake them as they grow. Cut off the stems that grow out so they won't be heavy. Cut out the top so they won't grow 8 feet tall! I use old panty hose or knee highs to tie and just keep tying. Maye this will work for you.

    ReplyDelete