A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Friday, June 08, 2012

bugs bugs and more bugs!!!

My garden is being invaded by fleas!  They have killed several cucumber plants and a pepper plant.  I have lettuce growing everywhere for some reason (one reason may be a certain little person who helped me plant the garden he he).  I suspect the rain washed the seeds here, there and everywhere......  The long and the short of it is my garden is a mess at this point!  I have replanted some things....some things I can't remember where I planted lol.  Needless to say it has been an interesting growing season so far.

5 comments:

  1. Fleas? You said "fleas?" They kill cucumber plants? How? I know fleas live off warm-blooded animals, but cucumbers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are tiny black beetles that jump like fleas, thus they call them flea beetles. They are doing a number on my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa , I use ashes on my plants for flee beetles. It does not hurt them and keeps the beetles away.I have a worse problem My cucumbers are eaten by a flying black and yellow bug, some thing like a potato beetle , just more slender. the only thing that helps is Diatomaceous earth. It is a white powder and made from crushed shells.This might also deter the flees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, by the way, it's me again. I found your blog on Sue's page. Welcome to the blogging world. I am Sue's good friend and my blog is called "Earth laughs in flowers". I am a gardener , photographer and so called artist. I love to paint my flowers in watercolor. I have been gardening for forever. Being an organic gardener I have a lot of struggles with pests.
    I do my blog mainly for my family who are all over the world.It seems Sue is the only one who looks at it from around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very new to the blogging world, still much to learn :) I also have the bug you describe eating my cucumber and my butternut squash plants :( I will try ashes. I used Eco Scense insecticidal soap this morning. I haven't looked at my garden for several days as I have not had time, I was shocked to see my cucumber and squash plants chewed nearly to bits. I don't know if the insecticidal soap will work or not but I'll find out. I hope my plants bounce back, they are in pretty hard condition. I have heard several other people say they are having a terrible time growing a garden this year as well. Thanks for the advice! And welcome to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete