A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Monday, February 16, 2015

What I've learned about stress and belly fat.....

I've been using my new Library card to do some research on the science of stress.  Here's a tidbit of information I would like to pass along.  I have learned why our bodies store belly fat when we're stressed.  It involves all kinds of technical jargon, scientific terms and many pages I had to read a few times to understand.  Here's my personal understanding.  The body stores fat in the belly area so it is close to our liver for quick access, so it can be turned into energy when needed for fight or flight.

I have also learned to burn that belly fat and fight the bodies urge to store it I need to do Yoga.  Last fall I started to do Yoga.  Then Santa brought me a complicated Yoga DVD and I got a bit discouraged.  As I've mentioned before I have also lost interest in exercising and I've gotten lazy during the cold winter months.  Not getting out for my lunch time walks has put a wrench in my routine.  But, after reading the benefits of Yoga, I am determined to start a new routine.  Starting this week and moving forward, I am going to do my Yoga every evening before bed.  I have no excuse not to.  It will relax me for sleep, ease my stress level and make my body feel better.  Last fall I noticed my belly getting smaller and actually had compliments on it, I had no idea it was due to Yoga!  And when my belly started getting bigger I blamed it on the Christmas treats - I had no idea it was because I had stopped doing Yoga.  Of course the Christmas treats didn't help.

I am a very slow reader, it is taking me a long time to get through the book about stress but I'm learning something and that's what counts.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment