A Small Homestead

Welcome to my blog about our adventures on and away from our modest family homestead. We are a young family trying to raise as much of our own food as possible and still enjoy life while holding down full time jobs and work two small home based businesses. Life can get hectic and challenging but at the end of the day we have most importantly each other, good food on our table and a roof over our heads.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Back to Church!

Summer has been very very busy with work and summertime activities.   I am ashamed to say we haven't been to Church since June.  Today, all the cards fell into place...we were home, animals were fed and watered last night in preparation, no chores were so urgent as to keep us from going to Church this morning.

It was nice to be back in Church.  I missed it.  I always enjoy listening to our Minister, he has a way of holding your attention.  He is a great story teller.  He breaks down the lessons and explains the importance of what has happened.  He also uses current day events to bring the lesson into perspective.  Though he is a great story teller he cannot always hold the attention of my 3 year old.  Of course I am the embarrassed mother while everyone else comments on how good he is.

Communion is held every Sunday.  I mentioned in the past a reluctance to take communion only out of shyness.  Well, my Mother, Son and I all take communion now.  I still get a bit panicked, since I also have to make sure my Son moves through the line up efficiently.  Today was an "out of the mouths of babes" moment. As one side of the Church lined up we waited for our turn.  My Son got a bit panicked, he said "we have to line up now".  I explained we had to wait until the others were finished.  He looked at his grandmother and said "Nan, we have to line up now...before the bread is all gone"....  I guess I should start packing a snack for Church.....

Our Minister is fantastic with Children.  After Church he sat with us and discussed farming, a topic which my Son loves.  My Son told our Minister about our pigs, turkeys, baby chicks and chickens.  He reminds me so much of myself as a child, I loved talking about all my animals and pets.  We also had a small farm when I was growing up.

Though my Son is still too young to understand a lot about what is discussed in Church I believe it's a good experience for him.  And he probably understands more than I am giving him credit for.  I enjoy our time at Church together, even when he's speaking when he shouldn't be.....it all makes great memories.

'til next time

1 comment: